Three jailed over Eurovision 'plot'
Friday, 03 May 2013 15:50
Crystal Hall, BakuBaku's purpose-built Crystal Hall was reported to be one of the targets of fellow plotters

A court in Azerbaijan has sentenced three people to prison in connection with an alleged "terrorist" plot to attack last year's Eurovision Song Contest in the capital, Baku.

The Azerbaijani citizens were guilty of "attempting to blow up the Israeli embassy" on the eve of the competition, court documents were quoted as saying.

Two of the defendants were jailed for 11 years and one for 12 years.

Four other people were found guilty in December of plotting a related attack.

Twenty-six countries took part in the Eurovision final in May 2012, which was watched by a live audience of some 20,000 people and millions of TV viewers worldwide. It was won by Swedish singer Loreen.

A week after the contest, the authorities in Azerbaijan announced that 40 people had been arrested in connection with what it said was a plot to launch "terrorist" attacks.

The national security ministry said at the time that the plotters had planned to attack the Baku Crystal Hall, where the event was staged, and several hotels.

The suspects, allegedly found in possession of guns and explosives, were accused of having links to Islamist insurgents in neighbouring Dagestan, a republic in the Russian North Caucasus.

News of plot was deliberately held back to prevent alarm among visitors, the national security ministry said.

2012Vettel takes third F1 world title

By Andrew Benson Chief F1 writer in Sao Paulo Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel won a third consecutive world drivers' title by three po [ ... ]


2014Will Poroshenko win?

THERE are two pressing questions when Ukraine goes to the polls on May 25th to elect a president. One is whether Petro Poroshenko (pictured), a billionaire who made his money in the chocolate business, will win in the first round. The other is how ma [ ... ]


2012Pope Benedict pardons ex-butler

22 December 2012 Last updated at 12:51 GMT The Pope informed Gabriele of his decision in personPope Benedict XVI has pardoned his former butler, Paolo Gabriele, who is serving an 18-month jail sentence for stealing confidential  [ ... ]


source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22402359#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

 

Classified Ads

Classified Ads